Day Tripper Bass Lessons
1) YELLOW by Coldplay. Here’s a nice simple line to get started with.
2) WITH OR WITHOUT YOU by U2. One of my favourite U2 songs – simple bass line too, four chords, root notes in a steady 8th note pulse.
3) EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE by The Police. The first of three Sting basslines. This one’s mainly root notes, mainly 8th notes.
4)ROXANNE by The Police. A nice example of the Police’s early mix of reggae and rock (see also ‘So Lonely’).
5) MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE by The Police. Another great Sting line, he’s not a virtuoso but he plays memorable bass lines.
6) ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST by Queen. One of the most recognisable basslines in bassdom, played by one of its most underrated players – John Deacon (crap claim to fame: I went to the same school as John Deacon!).
7) ADDICTED TO LOVE by Robert Palmer Interesting 80s rock bassline – learn to rock without the root note on the downbeat. Oh and great video too! (if a bit sexist)
8) DAYTRIPPER by The Beatles The Beatles wrote great tunes, Paul McCartney played great basslines. this riff based tune can be played much heavier than the Beatles original.
9) NEW YEARS DAY by U2 A simple Adam Clayton line, 8th notes all the way.
10) LIGHT MY FIRE by The Doors. Nice 8th note bassline with lots of major and minor triads.
11) MONEY FOR NOTHING by Dire Straits. I’ve got a feeling Sting might have played the bassline on this, it’s a nice 8th note riff kind of song.
12) SATISFACTION by The Rolling Stones Simple yet effective Bill Wyman 8th note line on classic 60s rock track.
13) KEEP ON RUNNING by Spencer Davies Group. A great track featuring Muff Winwood’s iconic driving bassline, the whole tune was reportedly written in less than 10 minutes once he’d come up with the bassline.
14) YOU CAN DRIVE MY CAR by The Beatles More McCartney 8th notes from his transtional mid sixties period.
15) LIVING ON A PRAYER by Bon Jovi 80s stadium rock, Bon Jovi style so big hair and lots of 8th notes!
16) YOU REALLY GOT ME by The Kinks Another typical 60s style rock line
17) SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE by Cream. Learn an iconic bass riff and the blues scale in a single two bar measure! Jack Bruce with Cream, ’nuff said!
18) BROWN SUGAR by The Rolling Stones Another Stones classic, another Bill Wyman bass line – simple but effective.
19) BET THAT YOU LOOK GOOD ON THE DANCEFLOOR by Arctic Monkeys Great contemporary tune, a good one for the rock jam repertoire.
20) I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE by The Darkness Straightforward riff based rock tune.
21) YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME by Bon Jovi More Bon Jovi, more 8th note rock.
22) COME AS YOU ARE by Nirvana Some seattle grunge – 8th note style!
23) I SAW HER STANDING THERE by The Beatles Another McCartney line, this one’s a good right hand workout, lots of 8th notes at a brisk tempo (approx 160 BPM).
24) ARE YOU GONNA GO MY WAY by Lenny Kravitz I always enjoy gigging this tune, it’s got a cool basic groove plus some rhythmic embellishments and a guitar solo sections that’s great for drums and bass to play (especially if the drummer’s got a double bass pedal!).
25) CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE by Queen. Another John Deacon bassline to another Queen classic – this one introduces the shuffle feel.
26) SWEET HOME CHICAGO by Blues Brother. Not strictly a rock tune but a 12 bar blues featuring Duck Dunn swinging his butt off (the extended film soundtrack version has got some nice upper register work too!).
27) ALL MY LOVING by The Beatles. Another McCartney line, this time a lesson in how to walk through a pop tune. See also 29 below.
28) SPIRIT IN THE SKY by Norm Greenbaum A popular tune, nice shuffle bassline.
29) EIGHT DAYS A WEEK by The Beatles. See 27 above!
30) METAL GURU by T Rex An underrated band whose time was tragically cut short, this tune is a great example of a mid tempo rock shuffle.
31) TOWN CALLED MALICE by The Jam
32) RUNNING FREE by IRON MAIDEN. A heavy shuffle this time, one of the first Maiden classics.
33) MY GENERATION by The Who A classic bassline from The OX (Jon Entwistle). Features include his great bass solo plus playing straight 8ths over the shuffle rhythm.
34) HEY JOE by Jimi Hendrix. Hey Joe is a rock jam standard – Noel Redding’s bass line introduces students to playing 16th notes at a reasonable tempo!
35) TIME IS RUNNING OUT by Muse The first of three basslines by Chris Wolstenhome (and my favourite Muse track).
36) PURPLE HAZE by Jimi Hendrix Another jamming standard, great tune, great line.
37) SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY by U2 I’ve got a soft spot for this one, it’s one of the first tunes I gigged regularly back in the day (“Le Pub” in the ski resort of Meribel with a french guitarist/vocalist called Christophe Magnon) – it’s not particularly complex but is another good intro to 16th notes.
38) PINBALL WIZARD by The Who Another great tune by the Who, another great performance by The Ox.
39) CALIFORNICATION by The Red Hot Chilli Peppers – First of three bass lines from Flea, the cool line to Californication features some melodic upper register playing as well as some more typical lower register rocking 16th notes. A personal fave!
40) HARD TO HANDLE by The Black Crowes The original (Otis Redding) was a great track, this version is OK but is a nice feature for a rocking 16th note bass line.
41) YOU OUGHTA KNOW by Alanis Morisette You wait 40 odd songs for a Flea bass line to come along and then like buses here come’s another. Great song, great bass line, loads of 16th notes, ghost notes and tasty fills to feast on.
42) SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT by Nirvana Some more Seattle style grunge
43) CROSSROADS by Cream. My favourite Jack Bruce track with Cream (his favourite is Politician which shows you how much I know!) A masterclass in the blues, rock style.
44) AEROPLANE by The Red Hot Chilli Peppers And here’s another barrage from Flea’s furious fingers!
45) SMOOTH CRIMINAL by Alien Ant Farm I had to gig this a few times about five years ago – great version of a classic MJ song, great bassline, great exercise in 16th notes.
46) ANTHEM by Rush Geddy Lee was probably more responsible than anyone for me picking up a bass guitar in the first place. By Rush standards this is a fairly conventional tune, but you gotta love what Geddy plays under the guitar solo. Class with a capital C!
47) HIT ME WITH YOUR RHYTHM STICK by Ian Drury and the Blockheads This is an unusual song choice – it’s not a rock tune in the classic sense, but it’s got a restless punky energy to it – and a killer bassline!
48) NUMBER OF THE BEAST by Iron Maiden Another one from Steve Harris – another bass player highly underrated IMO. This song’s got everything you’d expect in a Maiden song – high register intro work, tons of 16th note moshes and gallops, some tricky unison lines and even some odd time signature! Great workout.
49) HYSTERIA by Muse One of Chris Wolstenholme’s finest, another great workout.
50) STOCKHOLM SYNDROME by Muse Same as HYSTERIA. When you’ve finished the course and learnt all of these tunes you’ll have a thorough grounding in the rock idiom and be on the cusp of progressing from a beginner to an intermediate level bass player!Why are tips yields so low what does booshie mean What if the tricks to revive an old 1998 furby doesn't work what does the bible say about addiction How to sew by hand? How to reset computer to factory settings? what are jiggers what does ofn mean what does defensive mean what does sheesh mean what does a low temperature mean How to negotiate salary new job? How to write a religious exemption letter what does lgbtqia plus mean How to connect oculus to tv Why do baristas ask for tips How to answer religious exemption questions? what does the arrow mean on iphone How to screenshot on chromebook How to shine shoes? How to cook chicken thighs in the oven How to draw a skirt? Tips when streamlining swimmming what time does smackdown start what does fellowship mean How do you do finger tricks for rubiks cube Tips on how to keep a mobile home warm during winter what does brb mean in text How to grow roses from cuttings How old before my dog learns tricks what does guru mean How to get rid of ingrown hair cyst what does teresa mean What app shows doordash tips My image is overlapping with the navigation bar, how to fix this? css tricks How to drive a stick shift? How to newbie straight razor shave tips What celebrity wears tips what does light brown discharge mean Ghost coon tricks where the red fern grows How long does it take food poisoning to kick in? Why anonymous tips are the best way to stop school shootings what does affair mean what does purple rain mean what does notorious mean what does a medical assistant do what does r and r mean what does dietary supplement mean what does a lawyer do How to make kettle corn? When coloring in a tattoo what are some tricks to help what does the d mean in boot size How to say good morning in spanish How to make cajun seasoning Why are my spider plants tips turning brown what are the constitutional rights What are eyebrows that do cool tricks called How to use haakaa? what does titration mean what does swollen lymph nodes mean How to remove a pop socket How to know if i have diabetes How to do simple mentalism tricks How to do great soccer tricks How to descale a keurig coffee maker Bad tips when busy How to make sun tea? What cake decorating tips make leaves How to return something on amazon? How to get rid of knee pain fast? what does kms mean on snapchat How to hang a heavy mirror? what time does it get dark now what drug does dmx use what does idle mean in google chat How to convert ml to l? what does demonic mean what foods are forbidden in islam what are probiotic cfus what time does ulta open today How to negotiate a job offer How to reheat fried chicken How do trucks and motorcycles do tricks? How to make a grindstone Tips on how not be creepy with smart doorbells How to do dog tricks in fable 2 How to fix a stuffy nose what does ws mean in text what does double down mean in black jack How to gain weight in a week? How to connect monitor to laptop How to clean a beauty blender what does based mean in slang How to dye tips manic panic How to use wood burning tool tips what does arcane mean How to cover up white behind fake nail tips How much xanax to take for panic attacks? what does prima facie mean Frank coles, “how to drive a tank: and other everyday tips for the modern gentleman” e;pub How to bake salmon in the oven? what does instruct mean what does practical mean Your arms have more to play when throwing tricks How to clean spray gun tips How to unpack fedex box open tips what does aka stand for what does wtw mean in texting How to get rid of chubby cheeks? When leaf tips and edges turn brown How to create a shortcut on desktop? what does astro mean How to make an armor stand What year was q-tips invented How to watch the super bowl How to include multiple data tips in matlab Ffxiv scholar how to heal and tricks Why does my plant have brown tips what are the standard pours on a jigger How to clean marble countertops? what does mild cp look like what does right itchy palm mean what does yahtzee mean How to remove emergency brake cable ford ranger tricks What are the 9 tips for growing a successful business what does santos mean what are the seven kingdoms How to express a dog's anal glands what does cpi stand for Who tips wedding vendors How to charge airpods without case? Who has the most hat tricks between messi and ronaldo How to recover facebook account what does brat mean How to build a treehouse? How to buy Tips on how to choose paint colors what is lmk mean How to delete a discord account? what are small cap How to cite a ted talk? How to eat fried worms? How to clean paint sprayer tips How to respond to an illegal interview question and share 3 tips. what does whitelist mean in minecraft How much do hostesses make in tips what does flaky mean How to dye tips of weave How to teach an old dog tricks what does the wheel of fortune tarot card mean How to wear a wig? what does tbsp mean what does ct mean How to take miralax? what does explicit mean How to make dog do tricks in fable 2 what does parlay mean in betting what does censoring a senator mean what does alaye mean what does met gala mean About how much do most reservoir tips on condoms hold? what does god say about abortion Tips when youre burning out what does mhm mean on snapchat what does 4/4 mean in music what does hardy mean what time does cheddars close what does theta mean what do peacocks mean Tricks to remmeber what an adverb is How to explain number tricks what are good questions to ask How to drift in gta 5? what does ipm stand for How to recover gmail password Strategy tips on how to play bacarrat How to clean hardwood floors? How to become a physical therapist what does pe in medical terms mean How to cancel an ebay order what does yep mean How to apply for student loan forgiveness 2022 How to find ring size? How many pounds of steak tips for 2 people what does honorable discharge mean How to update audio drivers How to reduce periods pain for women tips How to do tricks on bike pokemon alpha ruby How to make a burrito How to make shoelace tips How to smoke dabs what does blood pressure medicine do How to use herion? what does garage ready freezer mean Youtube computer tips when to use one click How to do tricks on the sparrow in destiny How to do tricks on skateboard with spyro on skateboard race what does catnip do to cats How to build a car How to merge two columns in excel? How to know if your phone is hacked How to make pozole? How much wet food to feed a cat what do we mean by the main-sequence turnoff point of a star cluster, and what does it tell us? How to break up with a friend? what parts of texas are without power map Why don't tips show up How to zest a lemon without a zester? Tips on how to increase calories How to make hair grow faster men? what does references mean what does a corn look like How to edit youtube videos How to cook filet mignon in a pan? How to watch espn plus for free? what age does alzheimer's start Who in the olympics went down the half pipe without doing tricks How to do easy card magic tricks what are inverse operations How to use apple pay what does 69 How to eat brie How to do tricks on vehicles in gta 5 How to make homemade applesauce what does yield the right of way mean How to get paint off skin what time does the inauguration concert start How to make pesto? How am i supposed to live without you? what cars are made in america what dose horny mean what does ebb mean Why do tips not go through what does vogue mean How to get married in texas? what does protocol mean How to turn tricks for money How to change tips snap on solder iron What are communication apprehension and tips for reducing anxiety? How to cook rib tips in air fryer How to get a gun permit How to play scattergories? what does cap mean in soccer How long to grill steak tips medium well How to clean ac coils How to cook a turkey in the oven to be moist? Tips on how to play black ops 2 multiplayer How to apply for wic How do they do the tricks on magic for humans what does low resting heart rate mean what are the chances of getting covid twice How to make a website for free what does wtw mean in text How to get emojis on mac what does consisted mean Eat24 who gets tips what are people from the netherlands called How to take off silicone tips on airpods pro what companies are in the s&p 500 How to cut your own tips at home How to hide a dead body Where to get tips for cheap family trip How to make shirts with cricut? what does the phases of the moon mean what does the greek term acropolis mean What did i do to deserve this my lord 2 tips How to introduce yourself in an email? what does liliana mean
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Share this Post
String Bass Lessons
Sometimes a specific bass line or groove really calls out for the deep low end you can only get from the low B of a 5 string…Read More
Hey Joe Bass Lessons
Using a plectrum to play bass! Surely not?! ;) Well actually, if you re aiming to be a versatile and in demand bass player…Read More