Voices in the Park lesson plans
Voices in the Park uses story, imagery and even fonts to tell the story of a shared space (the park) through the voices of four different characters.
It is a resource that can be used at a variety of levels with learners young and old. Discussing simply what happens, and what learners notice about each page is an excellent place to start. Reading it several times over a number of lessons, with a different focus, enables learners to gain a deeper knowledge of the story and begin to grapple with more difficult, thoughtful discussion. Some learners will surprise us and jump straight to the complex ideas!
Here are two key themes that you might like to explore using this book:
- Different perspectives
1. Get learners to imagine who each character is speaking to, as they share their story. Where are they when they tell it, and what are they doing? This will help to build their ideas about the characters’ identities.
2. This story is an excellent starting point for critical literacy activities. We have found that learners quickly come up with their own questions about this book, but here are some you might like to use should you need them:
- What do we know about the four characters? Key words: wealth, language, appearance, mood, home, the way they treat others
- Why don’t the adults talk to each other?
- Why do the children talk to each other?
- What experiences have these four people had before their day in the park?
- Would the two groups of people meet if they didn’t go to the park?
- Are these people part of the same community?
- What is a community – where does it begin and end?
- How do the pictures tell the story?
- How do the surreal objects link to the story?
- Why does the world look different through each person’s ‘eyes’?
3. Draw a map of the park and surrounding community. Imagine where and what other community spaces might be. Do you think all the characters would go there?
4. Write the story using a fifth voice, someone who has simply watched what has happened. How will you represent the different voices? How does your fifth voice compare with those of others in your class? How would you illustrate it?
5. Learners could write a newspaper article from four different perspectives. How would you use the narrative voice of the journalist to pull these voices together?
A link to an interactive copy of the Voices in the Park book that has been created by Books Alive, Kingston University.
Five detailed lesson plans created to use with Voices in the Park. Including learning objectives, key questions, ideas for teaching and learning activities and recommended resources.which management ports are available who entrepreneur for capitalist psychologist and economist when system ui has stopped how long does solution finish last how many miles is 5166 steps how many products does amazon sell per day when management is incompetent where manufacture moderna vaccine how far machine learning how many management levels in ges what technological era are we in how entrepreneur is helpful in creating jobs where model workers can be found how to buy a business location how much technology is used in schools how many entrepreneurs in india startup where to start which system is required to start an automobile where to start startup why management consulting interview answer how many equipment lost in how much is the manufacturing industry worth where to buy road map where can i buy a roadmap how much startup capital do i need where product key windows 7 who devised celluloid film how design magazine where device manager windows 10 how management fee is calculated when product backlog is created how to roadmap an essay how business days in a year why equipment is important in business who workers compensation insurance how many startup fails how much phone samsung where do the best engineers work which london pass is best how management principles are derived how often company increase salary what product results from this reaction where to move from london startup company how many teaching hospitals in the us how many project sekai characters are there where science ends religion begins how far technology has advanced who is responsible for equipment where technology comes from which technology hides the existence of data why startups are important how workers comp works who technology invented where device manager windows 10 where product key windows 7 how much equipment does have what are different types of design where to project singing voice what system is the spleen in where to produce in economics who is responsible for product quality how many workers died in chernobyl which workers does cosatu represent which development is best an entrepreneur whose business is anchored on technology how much tech sales make how often should decalcifying solutions be changed where is fresh product from which teaching jobs are in demand who manufactured my windows where products are made whose project is tplex how much engineering technician make which device is using a motor why entrepreneur is a risk taker why teaching vocabulary is important where to get workers compensation insurance where technology and humanity cross who manager meaning how much business license cost which solutions does iqbusiness offer how many entrepreneurs have adhd how many manager does treasure have where is stonehenge from london the de whose solution is y2 3ay x3 who developed the hierarchy of needs which solutions are isotonic which company is the best for roofing who is solution architect where is anthony from project runway when manager praises you how company do background check where to study entrepreneurship when starting up a business where to use entrepreneur which design is subject to chromatic aberration how many design styles are there how much entrepreneurs work how design magazine how technology has changed education how much london eye why products are cheaper online why teaching abstinence doesn't work where to set up signature in outlook why startup fail where entrepreneurship started how to explain a teacher how often processing solution should be replenished which products sell the most on amazon how many project zorgo members are there how often to service well where is the roadmap dealership in greenville roblox what manager has been ejected the most where to manage amazon subscriptions where is dom from project runway how many start up business fail manufacturer's warranty